Classification: Department Head
Location: Rochester Branch: Adult Services
Job Category: Full-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports To: Library Director
The Adult Services Librarian provides reference and Readers’ Advisory service to Library patrons, assists in the use of digital and print resources and technology, maintains adult material and audio visual collections, and promotes and evaluates Library resources, programs, and services. Collaborates with other staff members as needed and assists in creating a positive environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitates smooth customer transition to technology, especially for those who are less familiar with technology tools.
- Provides leadership, training, and guidance to staff and the public in Adult Services areas and in the use of digital resources.
- Provides reference and Reader’s Advisory assistance for customers, including topical research and material location, in-person, via telephone, and via email.
- Maintains current knowledge of new materials, services, digital resources, and relevant technology and library trends. Stays current with adult literature and AV materials.
- Explains, demonstrates, and assists patrons in the use of print resources and electronic reference, including online databases, websites, and downloadable materials.
- Works with Adult Services Assistants to manage the adult and audio-visual collections, both physical and digital. Selects and evaluates materials for replacement, repair, or withdrawal from the Library collection.
- Schedules meeting rooms for patrons and library programs and ensure Meeting Spaces policy is followed.
- Processes interlibrary loan (ILL) and SRCS requests. Receives and logs ILL materials borrowed from other libraries. Communicates with other libraries by telephone or correspondence concerning ILL materials. Records and tabulates number of ILL requests processed.
- Prepares daily Evergreen Indiana/SRCS/ILL shipments to other libraries and receive and sort incoming deliveries.
- Works with Department Heads to devise and implement library training programs for staff.
- Performs special projects involving Library programs, promotion, and outreach activities.
- Creates and implements content and services relevant to adults for the Library website and associated social media sites.
- Works with Adult Services staff and Circulation staff to devise and conduct adult programming.
- Completes monthly reports for the Library Director and Board of Trustees.
- Communicates ideas/suggestions/improvements to supervisor.
- Maintains lines of communication between all employees, especially between libraries.
- Delegates duties to Adult Services Assistants/PC Tech.
- Other duties as assigned by the Library Director.
- Follows established Library and personnel policy, procedures and work standards.
- Attends work regularly, on time, and as scheduled.
- Exhibits welcoming, helpful, positive and friendly behavior to all patrons, staff and guests at all times in all communications formats (verbal and non-verbal).
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information concerning patrons and fellow employees.
- Regularly monitors Library communication venues including but not limited to employee email.
- Participates in meetings, conferences, continuing education, community engagement, and special projects as required by the Fulton County Public Library.
- Addresses, or assists in addressing, issues and concerns related to the safety of Library staff and users as well as the security and maintenance of Library buildings and equipment.
- Full-time, including evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ability to travel locally, long distance travel as necessary.
- At least an Indiana Library Certification LC5 (Minimum 60 semester credits from an accredited college or university that includes 9 semester hours in subject field related to the library position’s role) or the ability to achieve within 6 months of hiring.
- Prior increasingly responsible professional library experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent computer skills and ability to learn new technology.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, policies, practices, and techniques of professional library work.
- Ability to supervise assigned staff and volunteers, plan, organize, and delegate work assignments, establish work goals, provide training and orientation, evaluate work performance, maintain discipline, and recommend corrective action as warranted.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, other departments, other area libraries, community organizations, professional organizations, schools, area businesses, vendors, and the public, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, cultural diversities, and disabilities.
- Ability to comply with all employer and department policies and work rules, including, but not limited to, attendance, safety, drug-free workplace, and personal conduct.
- Ability to work alone with minimum supervision and with others in a team environment.
- Excellent written and oral language and communication skills
- Ability to read and comprehend written instructions and business correspondence
- Ability to effectively write routine reports and business correspondences
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from Library personnel and the general public in one-to-one and group situations
Adult Services Assistants/PC Tech
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. The above statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a qualified applicant or individual with a disability. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.